"As soon as we need to fill up for gas," tricks dad, knowing the fuel efficient Jetta won't need gas.
This is the WRONG WAY to teach your children and build trust.
When your kids have learners permits, make them drive ALL THE TIME. EVERY TRIP you go on, THEY drive. Practice, Practice Practice. In every driving condition.
|"Friday" by Rebecca Black|
- Get them a handbook
- Give them an intense 6 months supervised driving with you.
- Don't use driving for reward. It's your job to teach and theirs to learn.
- Keep calm, don't over-supervise. Be patient; safe driving just takes lots of on-the-road practice.
- Teach how to 'drive defensively'... and seat belted.
- When ready, go on teaching treks downtown, on highway, in rain and snow.
- Supervise a skid in an empty parking lot, and hard brake to learn how the car handles in emergencies.
- Do it with love. Indulge them! Enjoy this rare special time with them!
- And know you taught them as best you could to be safe when you're NOT there!
Teaching your Teen to drive by FamilyEducation
State of Virginia Teaching your teen to drive (PDF File)
NYT Adventures in Parenting - SHOULD you teach them?